Tuesday, November 11, 2008

This Chicken is Not Done


I tried a new recipe recently and really liked it. Except for one tiny problem--it took forever for the chicken to cook! The recipe said to cook it for 15 minutes, add the broccoli, then cook 10-15 minutes more, which I did. Then I cut into the chicken and it was still pink. So I cooked it 10 minutes more, which my very hungry stomach wasn't too happy about, and it turned out still looking like this. By that point I was so hungry that I went ahead and ate it anyway, which maybe wasn't very smart, but I didn't get sick. In all fairness, under the fluorescent lights of the kitchen it didn't look this pink. So let this be a warning to you: If you try the following recipe, make sure you don't do it when you're really hungry.

Gingered Chicken Dinner
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. orange juice
1/4 c. soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
1 T. butter
1 c. uncooked instant rice
1 c. frozen broccoli florets, thawed

Directions:
In a bowl, combine first six ingredients to make a marinade. Marinade chicken breasts in half of it overnight in the refrigerator, save the other half for later. Drain chicken breasts and discard used marinade. Brown chicken in the butter in a small skilled over medium heat (about 2-3 min. each side). Mix rice with the other half of the marinade and place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Put chicken on top and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Top with broccoli, recover, and bake 10-15 minutes longer (or however long it takes to get that darn chicken cooked).

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I have the same problem when cooking chicken. I bake it for the amount I'm supposed to, but it's never done then (unless, of course, I'm cooking it in my crock pot, in which case if I cook it for the amount I'm supposed to, it comes out burned and/or dry...I can't win.) My oven (at least, I'm hoping it's my oven and not me) must be messed up. :)