Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oatmeal Pancakes



Mmm, pancakes. There's just something about waking up to a pancake breakfast that does something good for the soul. Or, if you're like me and can't get up early enough to make them in the morning, pancake dinners are also great! I was introduced to these yummy oatmeal pancakes when my sister-in-law married my brother and brought with her lots of great recipes. My husband, who is not usually a pancake lover, often requests these. He especially likes them with buttermilk syrup, which is a recipe I got from my cousin's husband. Wow, good thing my brother and cousin married who they did or I might never have tasted this delicious breakfast. I posted the syrup recipe earlier with the apple and Edam cupcakes, but I'll post it again here for your cooking convenience.

Oatmeal Pancakes
Ingredients:
3 c. quick oats
1 c. flour
2 t. salt
2 t. soda
2 T. sugar
6 T. oil
4 c. buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
2 t. vanilla
1 t. maple flavoring

Directions:
Combine oatmeal, flour, salt, sugar, and soda. Mix well; add oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and maple flavoring. Mix thoroughly and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Cook thoroughly on hot griddle until batter bubbles on top, and bottom is medium-brown.

Buttermilk Syrup
Ingredients:
1 ½ c. sugar
¾ c. buttermilk
½ c. butter/margarine
2 T. corn syrup
1 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla extract

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients (everything except the vanilla) and bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

That looks so yummy!

Sarah Eagar said...

You rock!! I am so excited to make these! Maybe we'll have to have breakfast for dinner tonight.

Sam and Heidi said...

I don't remember the oatmeal pancakes for some reason. I'll definately be making a batch (or two) with some lazy mornings coming up this weekend. And do you know, that we make your buttermilk syrup all the time--mostly for when we have waffles. My mom loves it too--she doesn't even want to go back to normal maple syrup.