Saturday, November 15, 2008

Jenny's Blue Ribbon Cookies



Aka my favorite gingersnaps ever. Jenny is my cousin, and when I was little I worshiped her. She was my favorite babysitter, she could turn even my short hair into a princess hairdo, and she could make these incredible cookies. Not to mention she was kind, funny, and just so darn cool. Now I am going to pass on one secret of her coolness--her gingersnap recipe. She won blue and purple ribbons at both the county and state fair for these cookies. They seriously taste like home to me--all warm and comforting and friendly. Now I know there is some controversy over how crunchy gingersnaps should be. Personally, I like the "snap" to come not so much from the cookie, but from the tendency to exclaim, "Oh, snap! These cookies are good!" after eating one. However, if you are one of those that likes your cookies to do the snapping, you can bake these a little longer and they'll get crunchier. If you bake them for the recommended eight minutes, though, you will get a soft, delectable cookie that tastes fresh for. . .well I don't really know how long it tastes fresh because they never stick around my house for long. But I do know they are good to the last crumbs.



Ingredients:
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. dark molasses
2 t. soda
2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cloves
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger

Directions:
Cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg and molasses. Mix dry ingredients together in another bowl, then add to creamed mixture. Shape dough into small balls. Roll in sugar. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8 minutes (for chewy cookies) or longer if crisp cookies are desired.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Are these the cookies you included with your wedding gift to us? Because, if so, they are FANTASTIC. We make them all. The. Time.

Becca said...

Thanks, Lindsay. Yes they are the same cookies I gave you. I'm glad you enjoyed them!