Friday, April 5, 2013

Orange Spiced Scones...or What Have You


I've got a confession to make, here, folks.  I have always wanted to like scones.  I really have.  I load them up with jam and whipped cream and tell myself I like them, but usually they are just too dry for me.  Then I tried this recipe out for St. Patrick's day and it was scone redemption.  I guess to some purists these may not technically be scones.  Their texture is closer to coffee cake than it is to the dry biscuit texture that I'm used to in scones, but whatever they are--scones, slices of coffee cake, or something else entirely, this won our family over.

Orange Spiced Scones

Ingredients:
3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. cold unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 c. heavy cream
zest of two oranges

Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and orange zest.  Using a cheese grater, grate 1/2 c. butter into bowl and toss lightly until mixed evenly (be careful not to over-mix--you want the mixture to be crumbly).  In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then add them to the flour and butter mixture until evenly absorbed.  Add cream and mix until combined.  Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface.  Divide in two and shape each into a round "loaf."  Place on cookie sheet. 
Mix together sugar, flour, and cinnamon for topping.  Grate 4 Tbsp. butter into this mixture and mix until crumbly.  Sprinkle over both scone rounds.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.  Cut rounds into wedges and serve.

No comments: